Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 2 - Saturday AM




The winds started to blow and around 1:15 am the power went out. The wind blew pretty strongly all night long. Everyone was asleep but me. Every little bang, clatter had me jumping. The kids were sleeping in our room right in front of the window. I finally woke them all up around 4 am and made them move to the side of our bed, away from the window. At 4 am Craig went out to see what was going on. At this point we had no damage. Just really strong winds and some rain. Everyone went back to bed but me. From 4-6 am all heck broke loose. The winds started blowing very differently, and things were vibrating. I just lay there listening to it and prayed that the house would not get hit. Finally when daylight broke, I got up and looked out the window and all I can say is WOW! Our backyard looked like a war zone. About 6 (100 ft) oak and pine trees were down, all of our fences were down, and branches everywhere.
Our shed doors were flying open so Craig decided to try to shut them but by time he got to the shed, one door flew off. Crazy! They say that hurricane force winds blew for 6 hrs and tropical storm winds blew for 13 hours. It's no wonder we had so much damage. On one hand I was thinking we should have evacuated but I was glad we had stayed here because there were more problems to come. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Bonnie the Boss said...

That must have been very scary! your backyard is beautiful anyway.